By Harry Brelsford
This month I present the list of leading cannabis technology professionals for 2022 based on my primary research and nominations received at my site. These individuals have demonstrated a commitment to the cannabis sector by providing technology solutions and services.
What are Technology Services Providers?
Having extensive experience in the technology services field, I created the following categories so nominees could self-select the one that best describes their role. To see which companies are in which category, see the chart on the following page.
– Independent dealer: This role is very transactional and typically doesn’t include a great deal of in-depth services.
– IT consultant: An IT consultant is a technology professional who supports clients during technological projects. Many IT consultants offer guidance when making decisions about the technology they use. Because technology is continuously changing, IT consultants can provide their clients with updates about new technology as it becomes available and recommend new devices or software based on their clients’ needs.
– IT services provider: The primary roles of an IT services provider include streamlining the day-to-day technical operations of a company and providing the cost benefits of bundled services. This is a broad category.
– Managed security services provider: An MSSP provides outsourced monitoring and management of security devices and systems. Common services include firewall management, intrusion detection, virtual private network, vulnerability scanning and anti-viral services.
– Managed services provider: MSPs deliver services such as network, application, infrastructure and security via ongoing support and active administration on customers’ premises, in their MSP’s data center (hosting) or the cloud. What distinguishes an MSP from other categories, in my opinion, is that the MSP has a monthly recurring revenue stream under contract with the client.
– Solutions architect: A solutions architect is responsible for evaluating an organization’s business needs and determining how IT can support those needs by leveraging software, hardware or infrastructure. Aligning IT strategy with business goals has become paramount, and a solutions architect can help determine, develop and improve technical solutions in support of business goals. Note: Some software developers will self-identify as solutions architects.
– Systems integrator: A systems integrator is a person or company that specializes in bringing together component subsystems and ensuring that those subsystems function together, a practice known as system integration. They also solve problems with automation.
– Value-added reseller: A VAR is a company that adds features or services to an existing product, then resells it as an integrated product or complete “turn-key” solution. This practice occurs commonly in the electronics or IT industry, where, for example, a VAR might bundle a software application with supplied hardware.
Why should readers care about CannaTech Technology Services Providers? For several reasons.
– Technology fitness: Capable and secure technology results in a better customer experience.
– Compliance: The key to success with compliance matters is investing in the proper technology solutions.
– Competency: This short list of technology professionals is where you start the process to secure an outside resource to plan, implement and manage your cannabis technology stack.
Let me know if you have any questions or contact me if you are a technology service provider who was missed on this chart.
View Chart HERE